Sept. 23, 1999 - KFOR "Peacefarce" 41
Pristina 1. KLA "Disarms" 100 Days after Start of "Peace Farce"
Pristina 2. But Killings Continue in Kosovo
Washington 3. Serb Agents "Infiltrating" Kosovo?
Paris 4. France: A Reluctant Accomplice to Mass Murder
1. KLA "Disarms" 100 Days after Start of "Peace Farce"
PRISTINA, Sept. 21 - One hundred days after NATO occupied Kosovo under the KFOR "peace farce" label, and after several delays and deadline extensions, the KLA had been officially disarmed, according to western media reports. The assertion is a part of the farce which even the most gullible among the Kosovo observers would be hard pressed to swallow.
In recent weeks, NATO also supposedly persuaded KLA members to turn in more than 10,000 weapons, 5.5 million rounds of ammunition and 27,000 grenades, and to stop wearing their uniforms. But no one here pretends that the former rebel fighters will lack access to additional weapons and ammunition, or that the KLA will fade into oblivion.
In fact, KLA leader Hashim Thaqi, who last spring was named prime minister of a provisional Kosovo government, announced today that he plans to form a political party. The party's apparent objective is to obtain an electoral mandate legitimizing the KLA's present lock on key political positions throughout the province. The party's long-term objective will be to gain Kosovo's independence from Yugoslavia and its largest republic, Serbia, a goal ostensibly opposed by most Western countries.
The accord was reached after top KLA officials, including all but one of the rebel army's regional commanders, won agreement from NATO to call the new ethnic Albanian civil defense group Kosovo's Protection Corps. The group, which NATO had wanted to name the Kosovo Corps, will oversee humanitarian and disaster assistance.
NATO's field commander here, Lt. Gen. Mike Jackson of Britain, gained a renewed promise from the KLA leadership today that the rebel group will officially cease to exist at midnight Tuesday (Sept. 21), two days past a deadline set in June. The new head of the Kosovo Protection Corps will be Agim Ceku, the KLA's military chief of staff.
NATO's desire to avoid pushing the KLA too far lies behind its decision to accept a name for the new group that is more to the rebels' liking. A patch to be worn by members of the new corps does not display the Albanian flag, as the KLA had sought, but it has a map of Kosovo in the flag's red and black colors.
But on several other matters, the Western alliance's negotiators won KLA concessions. One provision of the deal limits the number of armaments available to corps members for self-defense at any one time to 200, instead of 450 requested by the KLA; and another limits the total full-time membership of the corps to 3,000. NATO rejected a KLA demand to begin moving toward creation of a national army in one year.
Meanwhile, the Justice Ministry in Belgrade said the NATO-KLA accord sought to "legalize the action of terrorist bands and the criminal KLA," arguing that it was a violation of Yugoslav sovereignty in Kosovo.
2. But Killings Continue in Kosovo
PRISTINA, Sept 21 - Despite an apparent KLA demilitarization agreement which went into effect on Sept. 21, killings continue in this war-torn Serbian province. Russian troops in the eastern town of Kamenica on Tuesday (Sept. 21) found an 82-year-old Serb woman murdered in her home, the latest of over 300 victims of Kosovo Albanians' revenge against the Serb civilians.
In addition, four children were killed when a cluster bomb left over from NATO's bombing of Serbia exploded in a field in eastern Kosovo. The NATO-led KFOR peacekeeping force said two more children were wounded by the explosion near the town of Mogila on Monday (Sept. 20) afternoon.
3. Serb Agents "Infiltrating" Kosovo?
WASHINGTON, Sept. 21 - Serbian security forces are infiltrating Kosovo to spy on NATO forces and provoke renewed violence, a senior U.N. official told the Washington Post on Sept. 21. Military officers in the NATO-led peacekeeping force said their troops have been placed on a higher state of alert, particularly in the tense northern Kosovo city of Kosovska Mitrovica, where Serbs and ethnic Albanians clashed 10 days ago.
NATO officials also have warned U.N. officials, Western diplomats and ethnic Albanian leaders of increased security risks, causing some to add bodyguards, avoid nighttime travel and stay closer to colleagues, U.N. officials said.
"There is a convergence of alarm," a U.N. official said, adding that NATO may need to take the security threat more seriously. In particular, the official said, NATO should consider policing Kosovo's northern boundary with Serbia to help prevent what he described as an influx of too many "young people . . . who have no link to Kosovo."
Several NATO officials expressed much less concern, saying they have no evidence of specific plans by Yugoslav forces to create disturbances in Kosovo, which remains a province of Serbia, Yugoslavia's dominant republic. One official involved in monitoring Serbian activities in Kosovo described the intelligence reports as more rumor than fact.
TiM Ed.: Now get this Kosovo is Serbian territory, right? Not even the most vile of the NATO war criminals are disputing this. So even if this Washington Post report is true, and if the Serbian agents are monitoring NATO's and KFOR collaboration with the Kosovo Albanians in ethnically cleansing the Serbs, the question which comes to mind is - isn't that their right?
It is incomprehensible to this writer why the Serb agents, if they are in Kosovo, have to operate in a clandestine manner on their own territory? It is even less comprehensible why NATO has taken it upon itself to warn the "ethnic Albanian leaders" of allegedly increased security risks. What sort of a warning did they provide to over 180,000 Serbs who were driven out of Kosovo under KFOR's "peace farce," or the over 300 Serbs who have been murdered since June 12? None whatsoever, as the above statistics show.
While visiting Nis during TiM editor's "Tour de Serbia," this writer had a chance to talk to one of the Serbs who managed to escape with nothing else but his life from Gnjilane, a town in eastern Kosovo which had been chosen for headquarters of the American sector. This man was accused by some local Albanians of war crimes. Which was enough for the American troops to try to arrest him - evidently on the basis of "presumed guilty until proven innocent" - a KFOR "refinement" to the cornerstone of American justice.
Having seen the American commanders who tried to be fair and equitable yanked out and replaced with more obedient servants of Bill Clinton's New World Order, this man decided it was time to run, rather than try to prove his innocence under such adverse circumstances. So he literally bolted across the Morava river with nothing but his clothes, to the safety of Central Serbia.
Subsequently, this Serb's father was arrested by the American troops and held at a new base being built in the vicinity of Gnjilane, before being released. What he saw while in detention was highly informative. For, it shows that NATO is here to stay in Kosovo.
"My father was held at a huge, 4,000-hectar base being constructed by the Americans," our Serb source said. "It looks as permanent as any other basis Americans have built in NATO countries."
Funny how neither Congress nor any of the western media sources are asking any questions about what this base is about, isn't?
Furthermore, on Tuesday night (Sept. 21), while still in Moscow, this writer also talked to a relative of one besieged Serb family in Orahovac (Kosovo). These Serb people are confined to a radius of a few hundred yards around their homes. If they try to leave, they are likely to be killed. So they stay. And pray to God that one day, miraculously or otherwise, someone will liberate them from the misery to which they were confined by the Kosovo "peace farce."
The chief U.N. official in Kosovo, Bernard Kouchner, is nonetheless considering whether to restrict access to Kosovska Mitrovica for the first time since NATO's peacekeeping operation got underway in June, officials said. Under the draft rule, only those who could establish a prior connection to the city would be allowed to travel there.
4. France: A Reluctant Accomplice to Mass Murder
WASHINGTON, Sept. 20 - Before U.S. warplanes fired missiles into Belgrade's 23-story Socialist Party headquarters in late April ("USCE" - see our Web site), NATO planners bluntly spelled out the risks in a document circulated to President Clinton, British Prime Minister Tony Blair, and French President Jacques Chirac, according to a Sept. 20 Washington Post report. Here's an excerpt:
The Big Flop
TiM Ed.: How stupid can these Pentagon military types be? "Lose the will to beat this bad guy" by killing thousands of innocent Serb civilians?
As it turns out, stupidity and ignorance of the law are no protection for those who break the law. In this instance, the NATO leaders and pilots not only broke the law of civilized behavior, or that of waging war by the Geneva Convention rules; they also violated the U.S. Constitution in doing it without the congressional approval.
One of these days, sooner or later, in this world or the next, these people will also pay for their war crimes. "Sorry, I only followed the orders..." won't cut it as viable defense for them more than it did for the Nuremberg defendants.
Also, check out... Truth in Media Statement on the Kosovo War, "Wither Dayton, Sprout New War?", "On the Brink of Madness", "Tragic Deja Vu's," "Seven U.S. Senators Suggest Ouster of Milosevic", "Biting the Hand That Feeds You", "A Balkan Affairs Potpourri", "Put the U.N. Justice on Trial", "International Justice 'Progresses' from Kidnapping to Murder", "Milosevic: 'A Riddle Wrapped in a Mystery'...", "Kosovo Lie Allowed to Stand", "New World Order's Inquisition in Bosnia", "Kosovo Heating Up", "Decani Monastery Under Siege?", "Murder on Wall Street", "Kosovo: 'Bosnia II', Serbia's Aztlan", "What If the Shoe Were on the Other Foot?", "Serb WW II General Exhonerated by British Archives," "Green Interstate - Not Worth American Lives", "An American Hero or Actor of the Year?" (A June '95 TiM story) and/or "Clinton arme secrètement les musulmans bosniaques", "Kocevje: Tito's Greatest Crime?", "Perfidious Albion Strikes Again, Aided by Uncle Sam", "Lift the Sanctions, Now!" (1993)
Or Djurdjevic's WASHINGTON TIMES columns: "Chinese Dragon Wagging Macedonian Tail," "An Ugly Double Standard in Kosovo Conflict?", "NATO's Bullyboys", "Kosovo: Why Are We Involved?", and "Ginning Up Another Crisis"